Friday, April 25, 2014

everyone's happy


A very little amount of stitching has been done thus far on the April moondala. It's because I keep needing to be outside now that all the plants and trees and winged creatures are awake again.

Our bees swarmed last week right before my very eyes. It was a sight to behold and I felt quite honored that they held the ritual when I was present. Since we're happy with having only one colony, I found someone to adopt the swarm. Who just happened to have loaded a box and frames in his car that morning before work. Who I happened to call just as he was leaving work in Denver. So it all seemed meant to be and they and their new family live nearby up in the mountains. I didn't feel bad this time like I did last time they swarmed, to me it meant they were strong and healthy, resulting in too many bees for just one colony and the awesome natural manifestation of a swarm. The bees that stayed here with their new queen seem to be thriving. Everyone's happy.

Jan brought me two sections of tree trunks last week and I'm pretty happy about them. I'll take these instead of flowers any day, although I do love to get flowers, too. He once brought me branches of hawthorn berries which was also a big hit. This one is going to be a little garden altar near the nettle patch with Corty's tulips there in the background. And speaking of the nettle patch, it's time to harvest, blanch, and freeze as much as I can before the aphids come along. We had steamed nettles last night for dinner and a nettle quiche is up next.

Thanks for visiting, hoping everyone's happy. xx



15 comments:

  1. Yes, all happy here Peggy :) I had a swarm of bees settle in my yard not long ago. My neighbour was so excited, he had not long completed a bee keeping course, and set up some boxes, so his first bees were a gift to him. I experienced a similar sense of awe and felt honoured they'd chosen my back yard. Enjoyed seeing all the little bits of your days. Stay happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Peggy, earlier today I noticed the first tulips today and thought of your Corty. I'm glad it was a happy swarming this time. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the bees--HEALTHY bees--what abundance. LOVE nettles, but it's been awhile. I've got to wait for the farmers market to open and perhaps there will be bunches today despite rain--can't stop a farmer and the herb woman is the best from local New York State. Quich! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy is good! :)
    glad the bees are growing
    and the fact that you could share
    them with another caring soul. xo
    Our planet needs that right now...all the love it can get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your bees look golden :) the bees need our help so much. it's wonderful to hear of all this healthy growth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen bees swarming...thank you for showing us! Also, the reminder about necktie egg-dyeing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nanette, I love knowing you had a swarm come to you, too! That's how we got started in the first place. Hope the bees and the new beekeeper are doing well, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cindy, oh that means so much to me. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, hope you found some nettles at the market! Is there a healthier food than nettles in the springtime?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Marie -- it seems like there is so much love for bees right now, doesn't it? I hope we can turn things around enough for them to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joan! Yes, they're beautiful, aren't they? They were so gentle during the transfer process, I had lent the guy my suit so I just had regular clothes on, but no problems. The darlings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzanna, thousands of sweet, beautiful honeybees taking good care of their queen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see so much happiness over here! Can't wait to see the alters as they grow...and more of the tulips :)
    I gave my friends a pure white rose bush to plant in Christopher's honor. It's called a "sugar Moon" and is a new variety for this year (I was told). That felt nice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You surprised me yet again Peggy. Keeping bees too! They must be well trained to let you stand there and photographed them! Did you know nettles dye very well. I found one on the side of the road and tried it and got the best imprints ever! Hugs - Nat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray for the bees! :) I still remember when I was 11 or 12. I was out working in the corner of the garden that was "mine" and I looked up and there was a swarm of bees! Not really knowing about swarming I ran for the house. But it was such an awesome thing.

    ReplyDelete