Wednesday, May 2, 2012

the goodness never ends with dandelion







The goodness never ends with dandelion. The white woolen felt dandelion flower bundle was boiled in plain water about 20 minutes every other day for a week or so. The result is a lovely light yellow with pretty sunny splotches. The silk bundle made up at the same time is still transforming.

I held off until May Day to make medicinal dandelion vinegar. What better time than when the veil between the worlds is thin, making it easier for fairy folk and plant spirits to reach through, and vice versa? In case you wonder, the ACV on the label stands for apple cider vinegar, the best vinegar for food and medicine.

I've started using pages from an old garden encyclopedia to make labels for my herbal preparations. I find that I much prefer using this old paper over buying new white sticky labels. And attaching them with clear packing tape also makes them waterproof. I've been wanting to design my own labels for years and still I write them out by hand. It's easy enough when it's something for me but if I'm bottling up tincture for someone else, there's quite a lot of information that needs to go on the label. But maybe it's just fine the way it is, taking the time to write out everything by hand. On old yellowing paper.

Saturday is the full moon and once again, I will be making full moon art. If you'd like to join me, please do! Paint, stitch, knit, photograph, write, etc. and leave a link in the comments on moonday or email me a photo and I'll post it on the drawing down the moon page on the sidebar.

I'm off on an herbal adventure for a few days. Have some very happy full moon weekending. And thanks for visiting. xo



10 comments:

  1. great label idea. i like that they are hand written. enjoy your adventure and hope you'll have stories to tell on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dandelion heads remind me of bees! . . . And that green print? You are skipping merrily off on that path to "herbal adventures."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the felted dandelion bundle...such a clear, bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the beautiful dandelion yellow! And the green garden scene...grand! I feel compelled to add that while I love the handwriting part of the labels, I - myself can't do the cutting or altering book thing. I tried it once in a class project and I felt awful afterwards :) As if I was being mean to the old book!
    Yea for the full moon! I was planning on adding a moon to the sneak peek blog give away, so it is perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely frontspiece........! Nice results, more proof that dandilions shouldnt be weeds lol
    And I like the hand written labels and nice use of the old book pages too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful... I love your labels too!
    Enjoy your herbal adventure... wish I was going with you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, dandelion vinegar. Yum! And I just love your labels :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post and cloth. I love hand written labels. It feels like a little of the person's heart is added. I am a hold out for hand written letters as well. Wishing you a fun filled weekend and I'll check back on the other side of the moon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the splotches! & your book labels. going dandelion gathering soon.
    hope you have a wonderful adventure that you'll share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, everyone -- I can't wait to get back to making fresh spring herbal tinctures and vinegars again. It's rainy and cool here so it may be a few days! xo

    ReplyDelete