Friday, May 25, 2012

funky plant pockets







At last week's plant sale, I bought two plant pockets from earthlinks, a development project (for homeless and low-income people) that has its roots in the garden. The goal is to use the harvest to create sustainable products that provide an income as well as a closer relationship with nature. They also sell a plethora of pressed flower items, soaps, lotion, bat houses, rain barrels AND honey from their hive in downtown Denver. Now how great is that? Of course, I bought a jar of honey, too.

I love the funky plant pockets hanging on our chain link garden gate -- made from wool sweaters, a bag of soil and a package of seeds are included. I tucked in some herbs for the photo but think I'll plant some lettuces in them instead. It would be super easy to duplicate this design but I won't -- I'll just buy a few more from earthlinks instead!

Happy weekending and thanks for visiting. xo

13 comments:

  1. this is such a great idea. i have an old sweater that i took apart and never did anything with it. i may try a couple of these. they would also make great gifts. i'll also check their site and see if they have online sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna, I hope you do make some and show them on your blog! And since earthlinks doesn't seem to have them in their online shop, maybe I will, too. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I sent for a copy of a Greebcraft magazine off Ebay, to see what it was like. Its a US Stampington mag and they had this idea in there. It struck me as a natty idea and how great that they are bing sold to help in such a positive way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, that's so good to know because then I won't feel bad if I make any! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Peggy these are so way cool!! I'd love a dozen of them hanging on that wall that goes up the driveway, past my front window.
    I checked out the website, but didn't find them, yet! I'll just dream a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, oh yes, that would be awesome! Up above Lyn comments that she saw them in Greencraft magazine if you need directions to make them.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is marvelous; the organization is brilliant, thank you so much for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie, you're very welcome, it's a great community project. If you're interested in making the bags, Lyn saw them in Greencraft magazine.

      Delete
  5. Great idea and a worthy cause.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie -- always good to support a group that offers a little more.

      Delete
  6. oops..............GreeNcraft magazine lol

    ReplyDelete