Tuesday, April 29, 2014

black magic moondala


Late-night stitching, constantly questioning color choices. I always do that -- this started with mostly red but didn't feel right. So I picked the red out and went with coral, magenta and violet instead. Really wondered at that point. But then it hit me that these are the colors on both a calendar page and a favorite scarf that I love so much. That explained everything and even helped my stitching to coalesce better and easier. Funny how that works.

April's moondala, #4 in my monthly sewing ritual, was made with a black-magic silk-dyed wool moon and some green tulip-dyed wool as the background. The vibe is a combination of lunar eclipse, pysanky, and bee swarm. That's a lot for one small  mandala to hold, but it's all there.

We have a new moon in Taurus today. This is an ideal time for new beginnings -- in a little while I'll draw oracle and tarot cards and think about what seeds to plant, both literal and figurative. It's windy here -- looking forward to being inside today. A knitting project is so close to being finished, so very close.



13 comments:

liniecat said...

Always love your worldly wisdoms and this months moondala is really beautiful!

deanna7trees said...

oh don't they all look so beautiful side by side. i have trouble choosing colors as well.

deemallon said...

it's funny how consistent what we love (esp colors) can be... I love how it turned out. so lively and rich.

Nat Palaskas said...

So much beauty in those moons Peggy. I can see the moon eclipse coming sometimes soon! Hugs Nat

Nanette said...

a delicious moondala Peggy, colours are perfect, my favourites.

Peggy said...

Thank you, Lyn!

Peggy said...

Hi Deanna, it's always a process. I'm trying to program myself to enjoy it and not struggle so much. :)

Peggy said...

Dee, yes! Certain colors keep surfacing, don't they? -- if we let them, that is. :)

Peggy said...

Thank you, Nat! I missed this last one because I couldn't keep my eyes open that late. ;)

Peggy said...

Thanks, Nanette -- there's always something about a black background.....:)

handstories said...

That is a very FULL moondala. (hoping the comment sticks this time)

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Your moondala is beautiful, love all the meaning in it.
Love all your moon wisdom updates.

Nancy said...

Love the dark background. I really do get a sense of the pysanky in these color choices. All of them together...all of those knotty stitches...your moondalas are beautifully grand Peggy!