Friday, October 18, 2013

making a skull pouch

 

I was up late the night before last, anytime there's an evening function, it takes a while to process and unwind -- and I had had one earlier that night.  So the dogs and I went out around 11 PM to both ground and moon bathe. The night photos (no flash) are unedited except for the moonscape, couldn't resist that effect. Normally things are black and white and gray at night but it was so bright a good amount of pink was visible. You could even see the stars. No wonder I couldn't sleep.

I'm making a little skull pouch from scraps of wool and some home-dyed indigo green silk. The package of vintage rick-rack from my mom's stash was unopened, I hesitated but thought to myself what are you going to do with it, sell it? -- of course not, use it. While I was rummaging through the stash bin, I found the page with my measurements on it and can't describe the feeling of seeing my name written in her hand. She measured me whenever she visited and once back home in North Dakota, she sewed outfits for me -- skirts and tops mostly -- my baby years so measurements fluctuated. Every single visit we went to as many fabric stores as possible to choose fabrics and she always paid, of course. I still have some of the patterns she used with notes about the fabric, length and so on. As we approach the time of year when the veil thins between the worlds, her presence strengthens each day and it feels really good. 

Today is the full moon. Getting ready to begin my full moon sewing ritual, the calendar cloth is nearly used up. This will be number 11 in the 13 moon series using months of calendar cloth -- a ritual of drawing down the moon with meditation and stitching cloth on cloth. 

Some corners of our home up there. Home is where I want to be always. Happy full moon weekending. Peace.



9 comments:

  1. love finding things that spark good memories. wonderful evening light. my eyes perked up when i saw your thread braid (6th image down). i've been trying to find more of those. they are so handy to have. was it a recent purchase or something from the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna, I love the thread braid -- ordered it online from Create for Less -- $3.19 each plus shipping. Too much $ for the shipping, but what the heck.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your skull pouch! It is awesome! Actually, I love all you art pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the jukebox in your home?!!! I love the song selections. I'll get my bobby sox on and be right over. :) Your garden in the moonlight is beautiful. I thought of you often this week, but especially tonight. I was coming home from the store and the moon had just crested the hill. It was huge with a coral tint - gorgeous. A sewing cottage is being constructed between my larch and gingko trees. I go out every night and look through the open rafters to see the moon. I think of you. :) I have felt my Grandmother this week. It happens off and on, throughout the year, but this week I opened the jar of ginger and she came rushing out. She loved gingerbread. Wishing you a beautifully moonlit weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought of you driving home from work tonight. Here you are - posting your wonderful-ness! Love that skull...it's so fun. And the braid is so colorful and awesome. There is a two year old my class who always sings the hook of "La Bamba"!

    But, best of all, are the memories of your Mama :) I remember my mama coming to my current town in 1980 to shop for baby things, as I was expecting a little one at that time. My parents have been in my dreams lately. It's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, thank you -- I love stitching into so-soft wool...

    Jeannie, yes it's in a corner of the living room that has a few antiques -- I refer to it as Jan's corner (my husband). Good dancing songs, huh? I have a beautiful image of you in your roofless sewing cottage between the larch and gingko trees. Oh how wonderful it must be! And I love that your grandmother is nearby -- the ginger connection. ;)

    Nancy, I love that the little one sings La Bamba! How cute that must be. Dreams, memories and feelings rushing out, as Jeannie says -- that we notice them says something -- we're ready and open to the experience I guess.... happy dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skull pouch is great, how fun.
    I love all of your moon pictures, it was raining here you couldn't see the moon but I could feel it. Spent the night in my dye studio, everything turns out good on full moon night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kathy -- sounds like a wonderful full moon for you! :)

    ReplyDelete