Friday, December 14, 2012

looking forward to . . .






Eucalyptus is everywhere all of a sudden, I guess it's considered a holiday green? This huge bunch was only $5.99 -- to be enjoyed in the vase with eyes for a time and then in the dye-pot.

The green sweater has been blocked once, and again a second time in certain areas that still curled. Shaving it is like mowing a green lawn. I haven't tried it on since before I started all this blocking, it takes days to dry. It's too wide, I already know. And a little short, I know that, too. But it'll be just fine because it has to be.

I just finished reading Fifth Business by Robertson Davies and loved it, I missed this one in the 70's. It's part of a trilogy so there's the other two to look forward to now. I don't read for pleasure as much as I used to but more than once, I've caught myself reading a book I'd already read. Thus a book list was begun a few years ago -- kept in the same journal that holds favorite quotes and phrases. Maybe I'll add my book list to the sidebar here, I know I always like seeing what other people are reading.

Clothwise, I'm thinking of stitching houses with eyes like on the book cover. Another wonderful thing to look forward to.

I've just removed my happy weekending line. Because I've just learned about the darkest of dark journeys that so many families suddenly find themselves on today. Numbing. Love and peace to us all.


11 comments:

  1. which debbie bliss yarn was it that you purchased? strange for it to have that much pilling unless it is a fluffy type yarn. the color is wonderful. my heart goes out to those families who suffered such great loss today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading through your reading list...a couple I've read, but a few I will put on my list to read.

    The bunch of eucalyptus looks lovely on your table....double enjoyment there...aesthetic and then destined for the dye post. Great value.

    I like the sound of your houses with eyes!

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right the houses with eyes would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is numbing indeed dear Peggy. Love and peace to us all.xxx
    (I am not to be let loose with a razor, I always end up with a hole!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful green. You could spin what you have shaved off? Or felt it? Fun to see some of my reads on your list. I need to make a list as well. More then once, I have ordered a book for my Kindle only to find I have all ready read it. I hate when that happens. Happy Christmas.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deanna, it's Debbie Bliss Rialto DK -- an extra-fine merino. It feels luxurious and was a pleasure to knit. But now...well, only time will tell if it's going to keep shedding, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jacky -- I'm really loving that bouquet of eucalyptus. In the meantime I need to mordant a white cotton blouse for the eucalyptus dye-pot....

    Hi Lyn, houses with eyes sound like an easy project. Watch me proceed to complicate it tenfold. ;)

    Trish, I was worried about that. I'm pretty careful! -- I've seen the term mind plague in reference to this kind of thing. It seems to fit.

    Thank you, Sara -- I'll definitely hang onto it -- maybe it could be used to needlefelt with? I'm not yet a spinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read the WORLD MADE BY HAND series by James Howard Kunstler and thoroughly enjoyed them, Peggy.

    Each sweater I've made has been quite imperfect, so I can relate to your statement that it's "fine because it has to be."

    I'm looking forward to the light lengthening, which your photos remind me of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the sweater on you!
    nice to see your table (with vase), and imagine you sitting there looking out into your world :)
    I have only read A Gift From the Sea off of your list. I think my reading time will be slowing down soon, we'll see. I been reading like crazy lately!
    I love the houses with eyes!

    And you are so right, it is too much to comprehend. Too much.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved how you said "just fine because it has to be" too. A good thing to remember. Sending you a hug...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think also eucalyptus is fashionable as well these days. I'm glad you could get them. I hope they will dye for you too - In case I haven't got time for a visit Merry Christmas Peggy and family - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete