Saturday, November 14, 2015

coexist


One little leathery-looking leaf guided my color choice for November's moon stitching. A simple chainstitch, this is #11 of this year's sewing ritual named pathways. I collected more leaves to press the other day -- when I opened the big phone book to put them in, it was still filled with last year's leaves.

Our bees were attacked by wasps and it was awful. For days, yellow jackets flew in and out like they owned the place.  According to what I've read, wasps try to do this in the fall when there is a shortage of nectar but they still haven't died yet -- only the queen wasp survives the winter here. They tear up the honeycomb and eat everything in sight including the bees. There's not much a person can do except reduce the entrance opening, set up wasp traps or try to prevent the wasps from re-entering. I just pray to the bee goddess that they didn't kill our queen bee before a balance was regained. I think there is some symbolism here with what's going on in the world.

The taproot tunic top (a misnomer because it's not as long as a tunic) is finished but it is bigger than I would like. Next time I'm going down a size and using linen and making it long like a real tunic. Maybe black linen, I can't wait.

I found two dye-bundles from last summer in a box in the garage. One cloth has decent pattern and can be re-dyed while the other disintegrates when touched. The November calendar cloth is from 2013's moon stitch ritual -- nice to revisit pieces from the past.

Our Thanksgiving cactus with all its buds in various stages -- "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms." 

Image result for coexist

8 comments:

  1. That tray is special Peggy !!!
    Love the simple but lovely curly pathways !

    ReplyDelete
  2. one image more beautiful than the next. can you take in the top at the seams to make it smaller? so sad about the bees. we are all so vulnerable. we live in hopes that people will gradually learn to coexist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heavens so sorry about the bees!
    Are you likely to have to wait till next year now to see if there are survivors?
    Will pass hopeful vibes your way : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I had no idea that wasps would do such a thing, but it sounds as if they are just trying to survive at this point of the season too. But still, so sad for the bees :(
    Love the brightness in the leaf vein. The shirt looks great! I'm afraid the neckline would fall right off my shoulders...heehee. Love the fabric.
    I like the Christmas cactus. I had one once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sad about the bees. As for it's relevance to current events....everything is everything. There are no real borders in this earth quilt, despite the patchwork seams which shift on the winds of time. I'm deeply sad and hold to the truth of beauty with all my might.

    Life has loveliness to sell
    All beautiful and splendid things,
    Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
    Soaring fire that sways and sings,,
    And children's faces looking up,
    Holding wonder like a cup.

    Life has loveliness to sell,
    Music like a curve of gold,
    Scent of pine trees in the rain,
    eyes that love you, arms to hold,
    And for your spirits still delight,
    Holy thoughts that star the night.

    Spend all you have for loveliness,
    Buy it and never count the cost;
    For one white singing hour of peace
    Count many a year of strife well lost,
    And for a breath of ecstacy
    Give all you have been, or could be

    -Sarah Teasdale-1917

    ReplyDelete
  6. Els, thank you -- the tray was a gift from one of my kids and has been on the living room coffee table ever since.

    Deanna, you know the deal is that the neck area is so big. I am okay with having a loose cotton summer top but the neck is cut so deep and wide -- will need to wear a tank top or t-shirt under it next summer. Still seeing wasps, darn it.

    Lyn, the bees are somewhat active during the day when the temperatures warm up enough. The wasps are also still active unfortunately, but not near as many as there were. I'm not sure how long it takes before a colony fails after the queen dies but I'm hoping it would've become apparent by now. I have a feeling they are okay. Thanks for your good vibes, it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, yes, you're right, the wasps are in survival mode as well -- I think it's more of a problem this year because the weather has been weird. Normally the wasps have all died by now but we haven't had those sustained below-freezing periods of time that usually occur. That is the problem for me with this tunic top as well, the neck is cut very wide and deep. I will need to wear something under it. :)

    Michelle, thank you for this -- the poem is beautiful and *holding to the truth of beauty* are words I will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is risk and beauty in combining worlds. Your tunic is gorgeous & I like the strength of your golden chainstitch.

    ReplyDelete