Friday, June 21, 2013

sun charm


Summer Solstice casts a spell of some sort. Every year about now, I begin to move slower, lower my expectations, read more, pare down, feel more dreamy and tired. A sense of fullness and relief at the same time. A good word for the movement of summer, for me, is floating. Spring was rising and autumn will be deepening. I'm not sure about winter because the holidays can make it feel like something other than what it truly is.

I like small harvests from the garden and easy sewing and knitting projects now. No more than what I can hold in my two hands or in a basket for any of the above.

Yesterday I burned copal incense in the Buddha garden. Then I sat cross-legged on the ground  and stitched a sun charm with eco-dyed scraps and tiny carnelian stones  -- as a reminder of how now feels -- to go into my new little medicine bag along with its other nature treasures (from Nancy). A person must hold feathers and needles tightly when in the garden because they both can fly, in case you didn't already know. And a wine corkscrew works on all sizes.

Happy Summer/Winter Solstice to all. May no one hunger. May no one thirst. May all be well.

xo

10 comments:

  1. Happy Solstice! I feel my Northern European Ancestors' bones rattling and telling me to embrace this day as they once did. Your amulet bag of stones is beautiful. I love that I can see the stones through the cloth. I also love the aged wood in your photos. I am always attracted to it - well worn, aged, bleached, and worn smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Jeannie:

    Happy Solstice! I feel my Northern European Ancestors' bones rattling and telling me to embrace this day as they once did. Your amulet bag of stones is beautiful. I love that I can see the stones through the cloth. I also love the aged wood in your photos. I am always attracted to it - well worn, aged, bleached, and worn smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jeannie -- this must have been the most glorious time for our ancestors -- to be warm AND well-fed! That wood is the tree stump that Buddha sits on. Every year I wonder if I need to replace it, but somehow it continues to hold up -- the Buddha is really heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. . . I like to (try to) keep it simple this time of year, too, Peggy. Perhaps it's because so much of what's outside of us is coming to fruition and vying for our attention.

    We're on the lookout for a Buddha for our garden---I visualize him/her waiting for us in someone's yard sale one day.

    Thank you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, I love this! First I scrolled down...feather appeared, then gourd - rosemary and...hey wait a minute...I know these things! Haha
    But, now I've read more about carnelian stones and I love it all even more. Just what I needed today. Thank you my friend for posting these small treasures in the very Peggy way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Solstice day, reading your post is very claiming. I feel I was there in your peaceful garden with you. It's super moon tonight I'm thinking of. It would be for you too? Have a good weekend - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. you really have your rainbow on these days! such vivid colors you've captured here. I'd love to know more about your sun charms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a beautiful story in pictures! your sun charm makes me want to reach into the screen and touch it. Happy Solstice to you, too... may the floaty-feeling be sustaining and full!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I hope you find your Buddha!

    Nancy, thank YOU for the treasures. I love them so much.

    Hi Nat, we had cloudy skies and thunder and lightning so I couldn't actually see the moon. But I sure felt it! ;)

    Cindy, oh I love that -- got my rainbow on! My charm stitching is really just stitching with a focus on an intention, I think you do that all the time.

    Thanks, Deb, that was dinner that night!

    Dee, thank you. Yes, still floaty, still full. I was doing some housework earlier and realized it was all wrong, not something I should be doing at all. I need to be outside where I belong. ;)

    ReplyDelete