Monday, June 30, 2014

a mandala pillow moonday



I ended up making a round insert for the mandala pillow crocheted by my mother or maybe her mother, I'm not sure who crocheted it. Each side has different colors so in a way it's reversible -- it's pretty bright, too, right along with those seven orchid blooms. That orchid is earning a well-deserved rest after the production she's put on for us these past weeks.

The feverfew, Tanacetum parthenium, in the garden this summer is the best I've ever seen with tall, sturdy stems and perfect blossoms. My first moon garden herb ever, it literally glows at dusk and into the night. It is a preventative treatment for migraine headaches and I've decided we don't get headaches very often around here because we have so much feverfew growing all around us. It reseeds freely but is also easy to control. I honor and appreciate this plant, we go way back together.

Today is a waxing moonday in the sign of Leo. If you have been feeling the effects of Mercury's retrograde, it will be happy news that Mercury will go direct again tomorrow, July 1. A Mercury retrograde can have disruptions, mishaps, bloops and blunders that revolve mainly around communication, technology, mechanics, and travel. The positive side -- and there always is, isn't there -- is that these delays might just create more time for reflection, examination and change.

Lemon mint honey was made this morning. I filled a jar with tops of garden mint that hadn't yet bloomed, about half a lemon's worth of grated rind and a few hard squeezes of lemon juice, then covered everything to the top with honey. It is good. Right after that I read in an herbal that mint is a good herb to take during periods of Mercury retrogrades. Ha!

"When Mercury is in retrograde, individuals who suffer emotionally and have great difficulties in their lives will be aided by using peppermint. Mercury's swiftness and ability to impart rapid mental states and quick thinking are activated." The Spiritual Properties of Herbs by Gurudas.

Wishing you a back-in-the-swing-of-things kind of week. xx


8 comments:

  1. I was just saying to my husband I want to put in a moon garden next Spring. Love the fever few, any more flower ideas?
    Your mint honey looks wonderful. I love how you label your goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The honey sounds yummy! That pillow is so retro :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear beautiful Peggy, I hope you remember me from Soul Soup Sister, anyway, whether you do or you don't I watched this beautiful video today and it reminded me of beautiful you(oh the cloth Peggy, the cloth) so I thought I would tell you! You may have seen it, but I thought I would send you the link in case you haven't, much love....
    http://vimeo.com/76207100

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. I'm so glad i figured out how to join. Let's have herbal iced tea someday. cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy -- thank you...I no longer have a designated moon garden area, things got mixed up and you know how it goes. I think that white blossoms are the absolute best thing at night, especially along a walkway or garden edge. They glow way more than silver foliage in my opinion. I also love my jimson weed/datura whose huge Georgia O'Keefe-style white blossoms open at night and have the most heavenly fragrance. On summer evenings, I sometimes see people admiring them as they walk by and during the day I've seen them hurriedly snitch seed pods! One time someone set up a camera to take photos, another time a car pulled up, a kid jumped out, grabbed a seedpod and ran back to the car! Which is absolutely wonderful in my mind, no problem. But silver foliage is lovely, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Nancy -- retro it is! Can't believe my mom was so funky, sure didn't seem like it at the time. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Trish! Of course I remember you and I miss you. Have you started blogging again, I'll have to check. Thank you for thinking of me -- I have seen the video but just watched it again and it is so dreamily wonderful, I need to see it every once in a while! Love back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cindy, welcome and thank you -- iced herbal tea sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete