Monday, January 27, 2020

spells

Nature has most certainly cast the spell of Winter upon us and there's no getting around it. Though I may at first resist this slower energy, on a deeper level I sense that darkness is necessary and eventually comply with the need to rest. I know that in the end tending my inner flame for these few months rejuvenates me for Spring.


Spells are feelings, words, visions, objects and even fragrances that manifest their energies.


A garden Buddha wearing a rose hip necklace emits peace and calm whenever wherever. 
 

Every time I look at a rose hip I remember that pollinated rose blossoms (self-pollinated or by bees and other insects) must be left on the plant to form rose hips. The rose hips I gathered last autumn from a friend's garden were strung and dried -- about 8' or so.  


Brown and white are the epitome of austere simplicity to me.


Words are spells in themselves and I do so love the feeling that something magical is about to happen.


A little drawer of wings for spells -- also includes wasps and maybe some other unidentified winged creatures.


Words at the ready, this year I want to infuse my projects with magical words. This is a Brigid icon I made for myself last year around St. Brigid's Day/Imbolc. Brigid likenesses are rare in my experience so I made my own sacred work. I will be hanging this above my Brigid altar in time for her feast days which are February 1-2. See some of my past Brigid's Day rituals and activities here and here and here and here.


A book of pure magic, this man's words changed me in unimaginable ways.


Cloth strips, thread and needle with the intention of well-being for our trees.


Recycling egg shells back to the hens who made them.


Sorrow visited here. A hawk somehow landed into a tight space in the outer run and killed Henna Penny. I came upon the scene before the hawk had mutilated her very much so we buried her in the garden and placed a heavy piece of concrete over the grave. Still, an animal dug the body out from the side during the night. Winter survival is very real.


The poor dears are molting. From left to right: Margaret, Cinco, Lilith and Honey Moon.


I like thinking of everyday common phrases as positive word spells -- good morninggood night or have a great day. Although they may at times feel mundane and meaningless, just imagine their effect if they were of the opposite sentiment.

And now it is time for me to say happy new year, may you thrive and prosper and blessed be you!

Love,

Peggy

11 comments:

  1. (((Peggy))) you make such good magic !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of magic these long, dark nights. Your woven cloth
    is wonderful magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, poor dear Henna Penny ... the wreath at the end seems a fitting memorial

    and The Overstory ... I've started re-reading it, trying to catch and hold the bits I missed the first time ... 'twon't be the last time, I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty here, as there always is...and i am sad for your chicken.
    We have only our one and she free ranges. Last several days 2 new
    Northern Harriers overhead. i hope they're migrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peggy, I can always count on you to weave the spell of love for season. It is one of my favorite things you do! So sorry about your chick. Happy New Year to you as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting post as always...I'm now inspired to get a copy of The Overstory to read it for myself ... in all sincerity "have a great day"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've written more lengthy comments to your lovely post a couple of times, but they just didn't take. So, just a short note that I'm sad to hear about Henna Penny. So sorry. Also, looking forward to reading Overstory as I keep hearing all kinds of raves and comments about it. Hope all is well in your world. xo dulcy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the names of your surviving chickens! And, yes, a year of magic would be nice, or at least, making the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for coming by and leaving your kind messages! I hope you like The Overstory -- I just finished reading The Snow Child which was also so beautifully written that I didn't want it to end either. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete