Monday, May 5, 2014

a dandy moonday


Today was dandy. I rolled up a dandelion and wool nine-patch. I made a dandelion dye-bath for scraps of cotton and wool. I ate dandelion leaves. And I found the missing dandelion book cloth that I made last May Day during a snowstorm -- it was in an old herbal marking the artemisia section.

Today is a waxing moonday in the sign of Leo. Ruled by the sun, Leo boosts our self-confidence, and just like the dandelion we, too, can stand brave and strong to shine in the spotlight.

Leo's symbol is the lion and dandelion is also known as lion's tooth. I like beginning a new week with a touch of synchronicity, don't you?

10 comments:

  1. I'm delighted to see that much color from just dandelions--and vinegar? Heated? Left for how long?

    and has anyone got an easy dandelion wine recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I was surprised by the color, too -- I used approx. 2 cups of flower heads with 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of alum. Brought to a boil and simmered for about 15 minutes. Strained the mixture and added the cloth, simmered another 15 minutes. Really easy. Want to try silk now, too, with the leftover dye-bath.

    I've made the dandelion wine recipe in Susun Weeds's book Healing Wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks almost green on the cotton Peggy, lovely colours. I love the little dandelion cloth...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to play with dandelions too, I think after this long winter they look like little sun shines in the lawn. I rolled up some wool with dandelions last night, their processing right now.
    Your fabric turned out beautiful.
    I love how the color stays so well with dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing your dandelion 9-patch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wool fabric takes dye so beautifully. I have to try and hunt some wool for dyeing. Dandelions are everywhere on the side of the road here. You've inspired me to dye again - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't you love it when you find a little treasure?

    ReplyDelete
  8. synchronicity makes me feel I'm on the right path. I hope the rest of your week was just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i missed this post...great color from the dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes a cracking shade from the dandilions : )

    ReplyDelete