Friday, September 18, 2020

still here...




Stitching and finally finishing a project gone dormant feels good.


Tacked onto a base of black linen, it became a book cover for my tarot journal -- now I want to make another one, only with a different card for inspiration. 


This year I have set Mondays aside as a day for watery, intuitive rituals. One thing is a constant -- I first light a candle and meditate and then draw tarot and/or oracle cards for the week ahead, using different decks each month. I definitely have my favorite decks to work with but by rotating them, I get to know all of them better. (I also give myself permission to buy new decks now.) Monday/Moonday is just a good day for me to stretch and learn. Some watery mundane things include watering plants, laundry, soup-making, medicine making, taking a bath -- it all depends on the season.


A new colony of honeybees moved into the tree-house a few months ago. 

                                                                                                                                                                  This bee-house is occupied by a colony led by Queen Heidi II who is the daughter of the first Queen Heidi. I love that the women who raised and sold us the colony had a lineage established to pass along.                           

Another cloth close to being finished. For months, I have been trying to decide whether to chop it in half or not. It seems like it would have more options to be useful if it were smaller.


These are the new girls, Liza and Amber. Liza is a French Cuckoo Marans (with feathers on her feet) and Amber is a Dutch Welsummer. I'm learning that having chickens is not for the weak of heart -- Lilith died one morning in my arms, out of the blue. Then another young pullet named Saphie was sick from the start and died after only a few weeks. I have seen and learned so much in such a short time.


The original Moon sisters -- Margaret Wise Moon, Honey Moon and Cinco Moon. True to form, they are very tough on the new girls, pecking order being so important and all.


On the kitchen table, some new-to-me plants -- Marimo moss balls. They aren't really moss balls, they are actually solid algae balls that live in the bottom of fresh water lakes. The movement of water currents makes them round so I try to help by spinning them around by hand when I think of it. Their water needs to be cold and they need to be kept out of direct sunlight. I squeeze them gently and replace their water every Monday. 


A red sun one afternoon with forest fires to the north and the west of Denver.


Nasturtiums soon to be harvested for the kitchen.


Assorted reading and easy knitting, hexipuffs for the beekeeper quilt


A project for autumn -- to partially deconstruct and then reconstruct craft-store brooms and then make my own broom from scratch using the lighter, greenish broom corn, Sorghum bicolor, that I grew last summer. The darker broom corn broom was a gift that will serve as a model of one way to do the stitching. I'm reading about broom folklore and magical uses and like the idea of an ancestral broom for the time when the veil thins next month. 


The garden at the beginning. See the kalette plants grow around Buddha.


Mid-to-late summer -- Buddha's mask. I planted kalettes all over the back yard because the chickens loved them last year and it was so fun to watch them jump to reach the leaves at the top. They are beautiful plants.


Last night when it was nearly dark. Buddha wearing a headdress. 

I hope you are happy in the now moment and also looking forward to good things in your life. I love the feeling of reconnecting after such a long time. 
xo

35 comments:

  1. So grateful for your abundant return. How very beautiful your world. Here is a gift for you: https://youtu.be/Pud0LJx3PlM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle -- what a beautiful video you sent. I was thinking as I watched and listened "is this painful joy" or "joyful pain"...but beautiful it is.

      Delete
  2. It is so good to hear your voice again. I was just thinking of you as I gathered my Lunaria seed pods. I don't know what generation of plants they are from the seeds you sent me long ago. I love the shimmer. I do have a tin of the outer pod leaves(?). I keep thinking I need to cover a lampshade with them. Your garden is glorious. I am going to investigate the kale and see if it can handle our heat. As always your handwork and words bring me joy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, so happy to know the Lunaria is still going! It does go back a few years, doesn't it? ;) A lampshade would be awesome -- have you seen them embroidered? I think you'd have to do it when they're still green and flexible...and the kalette should work for you as we have similar climates, right? We broke all kinds of temp records this summer, it was so hot every day for 2 months. The plants get huge and the flavor is considered very nice according to a kale connoisseur friend of mine...she prefers it to plain kale.

      Delete
  3. I am in love with this post!! Everything about it makes my heart sing with joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, thanks so much -- I love knowing it resonated with you!

      Delete
  4. Your blog brought me joy!!! We all need a bit of joy right now. I am taking a watercolor class from Joanne Sparks call Art Sparks and having a wonderful time learning something new and creative. Her classes are full of color and joy.
    Stay well and keep calm and blog on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet, that means a lot. The class sounds perfect for these times as we move into the colder months, is it online? I will look it up!

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to email you for a couple of days now...and here you are! Yay! I've missed you here.

    The connections are here and I'm so glad to reconnect with you.
    The tree hive is so big! Tonight we will dip apples in honey for Rosh Hashanah. I still think of you for everything bee related, even after all of these years.
    I love that the queens have names and relations :)
    The sun bee hive cloth, perhaps not cut, but folded over for another journal cover?
    The whole West, saddened by fire, even if the red ball looks cool.
    Seeing the hexipuffs is like coming home Peggy! Your broom making will be fun to see, yes? I just said to J last night "Where is my little 'fireplace broom'?" - one very much like your model one. I don't think it made the move. Darn. I'd had that since the early 1990's. Oh well.
    Lastly, your garden is gorgeous this year! Everything is so big!
    Thank you for this post today, a balm for all who visit.
    Be well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy and thanks for your always kind words. I thought about it being another journal cover but the sizing is a bit off, I think. Now that you said that, I will have to double-check. ;) Yes, that red sun was not a happy thing...our air is still a little thick at certain times, hope it's greatly improved out your way. And I speak for myself and for Queen Heidi II when I wish you a belated Happy New Year -- what a beautiful ritual to carry forward.

      Delete
  6. Glad to have you back! The Buddha vegetal Halo was my favorite pic. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee -- yes, first a mask, then a halo. Hope it's a good sign!

      Delete
  7. oh my goodness, what an abundance in this post - so much richness and thoughtful ideas, I will return. I am especially interested in the brooms you are planning to make - xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judy -- I really enjoyed this first step back into blogging again. I have wanted to make brooms for literally years...I also appreciate a nice solid, well-made broom. We'll see....

      Delete
  8. So happy to see your garden and photos! I just realized I'm smiling and
    wasn't before I came here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. C'est toujours un plaisir de vous suivre de France... bonne journée!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to see you here! The soothing greens and rituals comfort my spirit. Margaret Wise Moon's name brought a big grin and your tarot cover is magical. My two handmade brooms (not by me) bring a bit of joy to homemaking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful post! Inspired me to keep track of my tarot and rune drawing in a lovely book I have. I just pull one a day to write and learn meanings. Happy about new chickens to the family, am sure all will adapt. Enjoying this first feeling of fall, and looking forward to color and light changes. Love it when you post, Peggy 🤎🧡🍁

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to see you back. I love those brooms and that you are learning about broom making. I've never seen such lovely and varied ones as these. Thank you for sharing. And your garden looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure hope you blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep checking in from time to time. So sad, just when I found your blog. Wondering, do you post (publicly) elsewhere? I really treasure your recipes, magical doings, and stitching.
    Even if you're not posting elsewhere, please know that you're blog truly made a difference in this persons life, at a very challenging time no less.
    I hope you are well and enjoying the abundance of Mother Earth this spring.
    Many blessings,
    ~s. in oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much s. and yes, I am welcoming spring like never before! I like knowing that you've taken time to visit the blog and leave such a kind comment...some days I think I will blog again, I miss the connecting part of it all. I've never actually made a decision to stop, it's more of a pause. I'm on Instagram under peggyvonburg but don't post very often there either. Instagram is too fast for me! I hope you have a beautiful spring. xx

      Delete
  15. s. in oregon~ it's funny, I had just checked in over here last night and then saw your comment come in this morning. So, Peggy, I hope it's a comfort to know folks are thinking of you, wishing you well and appreciative of all you share & who you are. Sending love. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, you are such a dear! I appreciate that those connections we made can withstand the test of time. Hope all is well with you and yours. xx

      Delete
  16. Peggy...it's almost September again...but 2021
    i want to walk through your Garden again.....could we?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grace! What an encouraging message, thank you. The garden is good this year and I’m watching the chickens scratching in it right this minute — they don’t bother established plants other than eating a little kale or chard so they’re fine. How is it out your way?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Grace! Hi Peggy! I come here too from time to time, but haven't commented. I could sit in your peace-filled garden forever. I hope you are well. Always in my heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, I'm so glad to stay in touch with old friends even this tiny little bit. Yes, all's well here -- have been seriously decluttering when the spirit moves me. I remember when you did a lot of that. In my heart, too! xx

      Delete
  20. Peggy, you are missed..♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarita, thank you so much -- I almost can't believe it's been exactly one year since I posted this! It's been a beautiful summer here but I'm tired of outside work and so looking forward to inside workings with all the herbs I've gathered. Today is our last day in the 90s if we can believe the forecast...I hope you are enjoying your bounty, too! xx

      Delete
  21. Dear Grace, I'm still here. Never thinking I would ever stop but it looks like I have. For now, for a while. I visited you today, beautiful words, beautiful cloth, beautiful memories. I remember the cowboy and when he passed. Love, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year Peggy! As we move into 2022, I think of you...your garden world, your creating, you being in CO (that fire!!)...bees and paints and cloth and family and your good heart. Wishing you a wonder-filled 2022. With love, xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year to you, too, Nancy! 2022, hard to believe....thank you so much for your always-kind words and spreading your love and goodness 'round the planet. We are all so lucky to know you. Love always.

    ReplyDelete