Saturday, July 8, 2017

woman drummer

Today is the full moon, a time to acknowledge and maybe even celebrate what has come to fruition, my scrap-linen drum case being one such thing. 

 '
The three moon squares are hand-dyed bits of cotton and I only used threads from the thread nest for all the handwork. It was French-seamed together on the sewing machine -- the tie is an odd length of plant-dyed silk. 


I love working with linen, it looks and feels beautiful no matter what you do to it. I have a good amount of plant-dyed cloth to use in projects, this is hopefully just the beginning.


Our sweet grass grows in one big clay pot in order to contain it. I want to make up a jar of sweet grass oil with this first cutting -- I read that it should dry for a few days and then infuse the oil for six months. It exudes a heavenly fragrance as it dries and when it burns, so I have high hopes for what it does in oil.


The almost 2-year-old and I followed a huge butterfly as it flitted all around the Buddha garden feeding on larkspur blossoms. A Western Tiger Swallowtail. Huge.


Things I'm noticing...the woad has gone to seed, a section of snow pea vines is kaput and the crickets started up on July 4. Belladonna plants are blooming and forming berries. Our nights are cool, random leaves on trees have turned yellow and red. I think there's a touch of early autumn in the air, the seasons are blurring together again. xx

18 comments:

  1. what a perfect way to say it...the seasons are blurring...

    i LOVE everything here....i love that you live as you do. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something so smooth and calming about your drum bad. Perhaps it is knowing what it holds and the magic you two can make together. Beauty of a flutter-by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to recommend your blog to one of our students Claire who is very into making her own salves and potions Peggy hope you won't mind.
    She has no sight so reads Facebook and blogs using technology but I think she might find your posts informative.
    Keep an eye out fir her would you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That woman's drum case is gorgeous.

    And I learn so much when ever I visit your blog. So many things that are just right there in front of all of us - but we don't notice. You cause me to notice.

    Thank you for your blog and for the inspiring way you pass on your eagerness to understand. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your drum case is just beautiful. I love linen as well, and took my first plant dyeing class over the weekend. Your gorgeous work inspires me. I was a drummer in elementary school, but let it fall by the wayside. Tomorrow I'm taking a class on rhythm and its effect on the body. We'll be doing lots of playing in the afternoon, and I'm hoping to get my percussive mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your linen drum case is a beauty with the kantha moons !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with others about the sustenance that can be found here. Your stitching on the drum bag is very beautiful and I like the economy of using threads from the nest only. Is this the same sweet grass that Carolinians use to weave baskets? I never thought that the name might have to do with its fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, thank you so much -- if only we had some goats....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy, thanks -- smooth and calming are good words to describe linen...perfect, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lyn -- she and I have become FB friends, thanks for the connection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, you inspire me (and many others) as well, thanks so much for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laurie, thank you. Hey, we have 3 connections...linen love, dyeing with plants, drummer in elementary school. Glad to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Els, thank you -- I pretty much enjoyed every single part of making the drum case!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dee, many thanks for your kind words. Apparently sweetgrass is a common regional plant name. It's my understanding that area uses a different variety of sweetgrass -- muhlenbergia capillaris filipes -- and this sweetgrass is hierochloe odorata. Fun to investigate but still not sure if the fragrance is similar or not....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peggy as always a very earthy, inspiration post! Love your drum bag, the moons are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your list of things, which you grow, is wonderful...

    I must look up sweet grass. How could I not, when you say; "It exudes a heavenly fragrance as it dries and when it burns"

    You even grow Belladonna plants! And you can do so, with a wee one around? I had it growing by our back yard pool fence, and we had to dig it out. Because of a small grandchild next door, who comes to our pool....

    And I loved the look of it too. -sigh-

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kathy, thank you, you inspire me more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Luna Crone, I hope you find some sweet grass! Just keep it in a pot or it'll take off. The Belladonna I was referring to grows wild at the park where I walk the pup. It's all over here along with poison hemlock which grows wild along the creeks and even in the alleys of old Denver! People don't really know what it is and at the same time, the plants don't seem to cause much of a problem. I currently have one plant in the back yard that has returned after being torn out and I'm keeping an eye on it!

    ReplyDelete