Monday, June 29, 2015

the roses are fine


A little 9-patch cloth weaving in the works. I wonder if my color choices are a subconscious effort to replace the many flowers lost in the garden. Because we recently had hailstorm #6 -- I took that photo of a mound of hail the morning after. Our tomatoes have regrown their foliage so many times I don't know if they can pull off another resurgence. Cucumber, cilantro and basil plants are 3" stubs again. I've sowed more seeds but won't buy any more plants. It's just a really strange year weather-wise. 

On a happier note, the roses are fine. I've been reading and learning about roses and how rose spirit medicine focuses on matters of the heart. Love and joy are her gifts -- feelings that harden, weaken or break the heart are transformed. I don't know that anyone can feel anger or shame or any difficult emotion whilst breathing in the pure spirit of Rosa.

I'm hoping to dry most of this year's Gertrude Jekyl rose harvest for teas and syrups. A very small amount will be used fresh in the tiniest jar I can find to make tincture. By the drop rather than the dropperful fits my intention to experience plants on an energetic level.

Other summer doings around here: Japanese-indigo-dyed wool yarn washed and dried, labeling lovely simple wooden plant stakes -- a gift from Colonial Williamsburg, growing a collection of wild wood bits and pieces mostly from walks, concocting a journal52 page with a quote that made me literally sigh in relief the first time I saw it. Everything changed the day she figured out there was exactly enough time for the important things in her life. --Brian Andreas

Today is a waxing moonday in Sagittarius -- I was moonstruck by last night's gorgeous gibbous moon. And have you noticed how brightly Venus and Jupiter shine in the west as they creep closer and closer together, night after night? They will be their very closest tomorrow evening, June 30 -- apart by only half the diameter of a full moon. If you're near-sighted, it'll look like one really bright star. 

It's getting exciting, I tell you.


10 comments:

  1. hail here too, the petunias are shredded. and the lettuce. but the roses are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peg, I love to browse your photos, one by one, and wonder what the story will be. Your basket of found natural objects is wonderful...I have a little tray in the house where I put all manner of things wood, stone or plant. A little nature table. Your roses are delicious. Weather is odd all over, we're having a very wet winter, but warm, I'm still ok in a light long sleeved tee shirt well into the night, usually I'm reaching for something warm as the sun sinks. Lovely post, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jude, shredded is exactly how things look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nanette, thank you for your nice comment...I'd love to see your nature table, too. And winter sounds most appealing to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roses have been so good this year, mine have been the best they have ever been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, Your pictures make me feel good: they are artistically done and suggest the promise of good things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post, I love all your rose petals, I'm glad they survived the storms. Your journal page is beautiful and I love the quote. I need to remember it. Thank you for all the moon/planet news:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. indeed, the pictures here are always a treat. I'm a teeny bit curious about the cloth weaving (as are you?) because it doesn't harmonize with the colors in the other photos here -- one might even say, they clash... one of your signatures as a blogger is how beautifully the colors of the pictures in your post tend to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Peggy--it's the fourth of July and I am carefully avoiding the rush and tumble of celebration in this big city (which, with the inclusion of a force of 7000 police and several groups of Federal undercover agents turned into an armed camp in some sectors. Fear dominates but not in my heart. Here, at your page there is only light, color, beauty and clarity. It is a lovely post once again. Since I no longer have a garden, I wonder if you have perhaps an envelope of Indigo leaves you might be able to spare??? If yes, email me at chenrzigs@gmail.com and I'll send you postage and my address. If not, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone...

    Dee, I smiled because I really don't do much planning -- guess it comes out that way because of the vibe of a particular day...the way we attune to things without thinking and suddenly the whole day is pink and black and roses and oh I have a recipe for rose petals, too. In this case, it's just the way that day unfolded and I honestly didn't think anything of it. :)

    Michelle, thankfully the weekend is nearly over -- the only news media outlet (that I knew about) covering the increased security in NYC was CNN. I didn't see anything about it in The Denver Post newspaper or even that much online. Glad you're bearing it okay. Yes, I'll email you about the indigo! I should clarify -- the yarn I just washed up there was actually dyed last fall -- that's how far behind I am, just washing and ironing stuff now from back then. But there's a new crop of Japanese indigo coming along and it seems to be doing pretty well now that the hail has stopped. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete