Tuesday, October 28, 2014

crafting our day of the dead




October's moondala is #10 in the eco-dye & stitch 13 moondalas project. The fibers are recycled wool dyed with onion skins and raspberries -- my color choices were most definitely inspired by last year's October moon cloth. The stack is growing.

We had our Dia de Muertos, Day of the Dead, family get-together a few days ago. After dinner, our loved ones were remembered and honored with photos, memories and stories. We cried and laughed both. The altar had more photos than ever this year -- as our family grows, the circle of loved ones gone to the Great Beyond gets larger, too.

The seeds that grew this tradition were planted after our boy, Corty, died of leukemia when he was nearly seven. This ritual-like gathering bonds and strengthens us and for me it is necessary.

During our time together before dinner all 13 of us just hang out. There's a football game on in one room and music playing in the next. Basketball outside and Foosball inside. And there is always a craft. A few weeks ago at a re-use store closeout, Jan bought me seven identical snowy, sparkling churches for a nickel each. They've gone to the dark side.

It always ends with chocolate cake. It was a good day. And I wish you a good week. xo


12 comments:

  1. beautiful stitching. and sounds like you've created a wonderful family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stitched moondalas, Peggy !

    (ha : it must be mandala-month !!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful family tradition. The houses are great. Looks like you had a lot of fun transforming them.
    And of course I love your moondalas. Do you have any ideas for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am going to make myself a mask...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna, thank you -- and it works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Els, thank you, your daily mandalas are fabulous, each one a work of art. I wish I could draw like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, thank you, the houses were pure play for everyone. I've been thinking about next year, probably something really simple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jude, it'll be wonderful, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet little Corty…
    I love how you embrace things whole heartily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thoughtfulness in which you live your life is a model I admire. Cindy is right. I was waiting to see how you all would celebrate this year. I can understand the "necessary" aspect of this annual tradition. Dear young Corty. Brings tears to my eyes. I am touched how you are able to laugh and cry and eat chocolate cake and go on. You are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy, thank you. I think you do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, that you and Cindy write his name brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for this, it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete