Thursday, May 9, 2013

patchwork houses


Today is the new moon. I don't think I'm going to meet my self-imposed deadline (the new moon) with the April full moon cloth. It took a while for things to come together on this one, unlike the previous four. It's 7" in diameter so pretty small. I used pieces (of pieces) of vintage patchwork from a rummage sale to make the three houses. The patterns and colors just have that certain perfect vibe if you know what I mean. I know you do.

We had kale from the cold frame last night for dinner, recipe here. This is the best variety of kale -- I think it's Red Russian -- so beautiful and tender, even the stems.

I had to buy some flowers since there's not much to look at outside yet with the weather and all (snow on May Day). Baby's breath is inexpensive and can dry right there in the vase and stay awhile.

Also rescued two African violets from certain death which I had no business doing because we're plumb full around here. The living room coffee table is under a skylight so some seedlings are parked there. There's more in the kitchen under that skylight, a flat of basil under lights in the basement, and the cold frame outside is packed. It is still pretty cool here and rain-storming at this very moment. So glad it's not snow but really wish we could all go outside and dig in.

Thanks for visiting and happy weekending  -- that means doing whatever makes you happy. xx

P.S. It's hailing.




6 comments:

  1. oh yes...beautiful cloth pieces and you created 'Spring' in that house piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little houses. The fabric is so "springy" and full of life. I too am a sucker for the discards in the floral dept. I did score a beautiful orchid for a few dollars. Hopefully, this one will survive. :) I'll trade you some rain and cool for some heat. We have been above 90 since last Saturday. I don't mind the heat in July, but May!??? I am practicing my rain dance and have my Hopi rain idol out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Deanna...love the little spring houses! Beautifully soft and aged :)
    I have killed every African violet I've ever had! Ugh :)
    My neighbor is great with them.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such sweet little houses w/a soft blue moon! some of those cloths are the same as the iowa ones i'm working with. wishing you some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect block for the Spring Full Moon. Looks like all the Spring flowers coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging comments! xo

    ReplyDelete